Budget Adjustment: Know What’s Working and What’s Not

saving money
Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on google
Google+
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on pinterest
Pinterest
Share on tumblr
Tumblr

Your budget will only work for you if you adjust it to reflect your actual spending habits. When you’re just starting to budget, you may have to rely on estimates and percentages. But after the end of the month, you can see where the budget has failed and what you can do to improve it. The initial budget you have developed should leave room for improvement, especially when you consider the following:

When to Save

One of the reasons you have a budget is so that you can save money. Many financial advisors will say that you should save before spending, and you probably start with a set amount that you want to save every month. For instance, you may be considering saving 20% of your monthly earnings and budgeting the remaining 80% for your basic needs. But if you have goals that require more money and you simply can’t handle another job, you’ll want to increase that allocation for savings. With a good look at your budget, you can find areas where you can cut back on spending and add that amount to your savings. Gradually improve your savings from 20% to 25% and even push it to 50% by watching your spending on other areas.

When to Spend

spending money

Sometimes, it’s more convenient to spend a little to gain a lot. The more you advance in your career, the higher your hourly rate is, which means that basic tasks that take time will lose you more money if you’re not working instead. That necessary pool repair you think you can DIY? It can cost you two hours of unpaid work in Keller, Texas, which means that even if you save money on doing the repair yourself, you’re also losing money because you have to skip work.

Knowing your financial situation will help you prioritize your expenses and figure out whether spending a little is more of an investment than an actual expense. If this is hard for you to understand, use the pizza analogy. It takes 30 minutes to order a pizza. If you make it yourself from scratch, it will taste better, but it will also take hours.

When to Rest

Your budget should be functional and realistic. Eventually, you’ll reach a point where you can’t adjust it anymore. Maybe you’re already using your money in the smartest way possible, and pushing even more will just affect your quality of life negatively. If you’ve already reached this situation, you’ll know that your budget needs no further adjustments. You’ll also know that your current efforts are enough and that you don’t need to add more to your plate unless your priorities change. At this point, you can take some well-deserved rest and be assured that you are neither losing money nor ruining your budget.

Money matters take a lot of effort to figure out. Start budgeting now so that you can make the necessary changes that will help you use your money in the smartest way possible. Remember that your budget should leave room for adjustments to reflect your actual spending habits.

In case you haven't read yet

Scroll to Top