A mattress is an important part of the bed. They do not only help in making you sleep peacefully at night or make you feel relaxed while you are lying down on the bed; the right type of mattress can help support your back, helping you achieve good back health and avoid back pains. The wrong type of mattress, on the other hand, can compromise not only your comfort but also your health as well. Therefore, make sure to purchase only those mattresses that can gently support your entire body and keep your spine in a neutral position when you are lying down.
There is no one-size-fits-all when it comes to mattresses. What feels comfortable to some may not feel comfortable for you. Therefore, before you purchase a mattress just because a friend of yours purchased one and that person liked it very much, think about your level of comfort first and your preference when sleeping or lying down.
Below are some tips that can help you choose the right mattress for you.
Understand That Different Mattresses are Made from Different Materials
Not all mattresses are made equal. Some are made from excellent materials while some are made with cheaper supplies. Some are also made with comfort and other benefits in mind while others are made just for their basic use – sleeping. When choosing a mattress for your bed, familiarize yourself with the different types of mattresses first and the materials that they are made from. Here are some of the most common types of mattresses and their differences.
- Air mattresses. Also known as a blow-up bed or an airbed, these mattresses are made from textile-reinforced urethane plastic or rubber and sometimes PVC or polyvinyl chloride. These mattresses can be inflated based on the desired firmness level.
- Memory foams. These are designed to provide pressure relief by using your heat and body pressure to contour your body based on your shape while you are sleeping or lying down. The heat that emanates from your body softens the foam, making it gelatinous. Memory foams are hypoallergenic and can relieve back pains.
- Latex mattresses. These mattresses have a durable sleep surface that supports the back well while sleeping. Made from natural materials, latex mattresses are not only durable; they are also easy to maintain, eco-friendly, hypoallergenic, and pressure-relieving.
- Innerspring mattresses. These mattresses are made with a steel coil support system, which is responsible for the bouncy feel and strong support.
- Hybrid mattresses. These mattresses are made with a combination of latex, innerspring, and memory foam materials to provide ultimate comfort to the user.
It can be quite hard to know which type of mattress will work best for you unless you try lying on each of them. It can also be hard to find the best mattress that will work best with your existing bed frame. To make it easier for you to make a choice, you can just purchase a bedroom set consisting of a bed frame that is already fitted with a mattress. There are various designs for you to choose from. You can even choose bed frames that already come with storage underneath.
Test Out the Mattresses
The best way to tell whether a mattress will work best for you is to try lying on them for at least a few minutes. While there may be stores that prohibit lying down on their displayed mattresses, there are also those who allow buyers to sort through their variety of choices and give them the freedom to feel what it would be like to lie on the mattresses they are selling. You can just ask the salesperson nicely if you could try lying on the mattress so you could see how it would feel.
Know the Warranty
Products that come with a warranty are oftentimes durable and can last for long. Warranties mean that the product you are about to buy is of excellent quality and that it does not come with manufacturing defects. Warranties protect buyers from defective purchases, allowing them to make manufacturers accountable for any issues that may come with the product. Warranties provide buyers with extended protection, giving buyers peace of mind that if ever the product has defects and needs repairs or replacement, the manufacturer will repair or replace it with no extra cost to the buyer.
Finding the right type of mattress is essential if you want to have a restful sleep each night. If you are having a hard time finding the right one for you, ask for recommendations or read some real customer reviews online.